Sunday, May 17, 2009

Spring is definitely here!

I grew up in a family that always relished nature. Though my Mom and Dad were both children of hunters, they never felt a calling to it themselves. They both loved nothing more then to go for a ride and watch for deer, turkeys, and any other wildlife that crossed our path.

When I was little we had a front porch with crossing beams on the top. I can still remember the day that my Dad took me out to see the Robins nest that was being built in one of the crosses. He lifted me up and I got to see the bright blue eggs, that he told me would soon hatch into baby birds. Just as vividly I can remember the day that me and my horrified friends found one of those same baby birds on the ground below the nest. It had fallen out of the nest and my Mom and Dad used it as a lesson that animals live and die and that is the natural order of things.

Well earlier this month I started to notice a pair of Robins hanging out in my front yard. They were there on an almost daily basis, but I didn't think much of it. That is until one day I opened the front door to get a package off the porch and noticed that my cranberry wreath now supported a large nest. Since we just built our house this past fall, there was a layer of straw on the yard to help the grass grow. Apparently that pair of Robins that I mentioned earlier thought that the combination of the straw, my wreath, and our covered porch was the perfect environment to make a nest and start a family. Me being the nature lover that I am I couldn't bring myself to take down the nest, though the mess on my front door is quite something. I am thoroughly enjoying watching the Momma Robin sitting on her nest and am eagerly awaiting the precious chirps of the tiny baby birds.

I hoped to get a picture of the Momma Robin sitting on the nest, but she tends to fly away whenever someone goes into the front yard. I was however able to snap this beautiful shot of 4 perfect eggs nestled in their safe and lovely nest.



My Dad would be so proud!! I'll bring you more pictures when the eggs hatch to reveal their precious cargo.

Welcome to Spring!!

No comments: