Friday, February 13, 2009

Trials of an only Child

As many of you know, I am an only child. This is not a bad situation to be in most of the time, but in circumstances of sickness and trauma, it is a lot to bare. This is the story of my very interesting week, and the reason why I am stuck in Holland without Internet access until Tuesday.

My week started out on a very shaky note, with a call from my mother saying she had fallen on the ice and "hurt her ankle". After a few hours and one very scary looking X-ray, I got a call from an ER doc saying the ankle was broken in 3 places and needed surgery ASAP. To this I instructed them to wait until I got there and took off for, the supposed to take, 5 hour drive to Holland. Including picking up Mike at work it took us 4 hours the get to the hospital, and we arrived just as they were wheeling her to surgery. Luck was on our side...we thought!!

After one night in the hospital we had devised a great plan that would get Mike and I back to work on Thurs and Mom to a safe place where she wouldn't have to be alone, our house. Unfortunately, the Dr. vetoed that plan on Tuesday by saying that Mom couldn't endure the ride to WI for 1 week.

So, here I am in a noisy Panera Bread, using the Internet, and trying to get some time to myself. The last 3 days have been nothing but taking Mom to the bathroom, getting her stuff, and watching TV. Don't get me wrong, I love to be lazy at times, but this is getting to me and with 4 more days to go I may need medicinal help to endure. Following a post op appointment on Tues I will be bringing Mom back to WI to live with us for the 6-8weeks she has to stay off the ankle.

If any friends or family out there are going to be around on Saturday or Sunday and are looking for something to do give me a call, I have time. Thanks for listening to me whine, I should get back to "work". Kate

1 comment:

Tripp said...

oh man I wish I would have read this before today! I could have played for a little while.